7/3 - Brock Solid

A couple years ago when I was shooting for the Rochester Red Wings, I first started up this whole blog/website thing I have going on here. After working four years for the Iowa Cubs as an awkward teenager, I got a job with the Rochester Red Wings as their team photographer.

Obviously, I’ve been around baseball for long enough to start “knowing” some of the players. Some of them stayed with the Cubs. Some of them got promoted/demoted. Some of them latched onto other teams. During the first half of the 2010 season, I saw some former Iowa Cubs passing through Rochester, such as Rich Hill, Eric Patterson and Buck Coats.

It’s always great to see some old faces in new places. Doesn’t matter where they’re playing, as long as they’re in baseball, it’s still great. They’re just doing what they love to do.

I never thought that nearly four years later, I would be doing the same thing for the Red Wings.

Just today, I saw an old friend from the Red Wings, Brock Peterson, who’s now with the Memphis Red Wings birds. After his time in Rochester, he spent a couple years in an independent league, playing for the Bridgeport Bluefish of the Atlantic League. He signed on with the Cardinals last season.

And now…Peterson is having an awesome season with the Redbirds, as he just got named to the PCL All-Star team. So far this season, he’s batting .315 with 20 home runs, which leads the entire Pacific Coast League! The second-place guy only has 16.

He’s just a great all-around guy and it’s good to see him again.