8/3 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox at Iowa Cubs

It was great to be back in the action shooting professional baseball at Principal Park, the home of the Iowa Cubs, my original team. 


For this game, I tried to stay as neutral as I can so I could cover both teams equally. I think it helps a lot when I really don't "know" anybody on either roster (I do know a couple former Rochester Red Wings players from each team though) that allows me to shoot both teams. 

Ok, I'll be honest, I was actually rooting for the Iowa Cubs, but I had to push myself out of my comfort zone so I could grow as a photographer. 


It was a great game between the two teams until the 9th inning, where the Sky Sox exploded for three runs to defeat the Cubs 4-1. Brendan Harris (a former Red Wing AND I-Cub too!) got his revenge against his former club by hitting the go-ahead RBI single in the top of the ninth inning. 

Hopefully I'll get some more chances to shoot a couple more I-Cubs games this season before I head back to Rochester. Without further ado, here's the photos from the game:

Cubs starter Ryan Rowland-Smith pitches against the Sky Sox during the 1st inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012. 
Sky Sox starter Edwar Cabrera pitches against the Cubs during the 1st inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

Sky Sox shortstop Tommy Field throws to first base during the 1st inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

Chad Tracy of the Sky Sox rounds third base to score against the Cubs during the 2nd inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

The Cubs' Josh Vitters hits a double against the Sky Sox during the 2nd inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

The Cubs' Jeff Frazier is out at home under the tag of Sky Sox catcher Omir Santos during the 3rd inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

Cubs shortstop Alfredo Amezaga turns a double play at second base over Tim Wheeler of the Sky Sox during the 6th inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

The Cubs' Jeff Frazier singles against the Sky Sox during the 8th inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

The Cubs' Jeff Frazier rounds second base against the Sky Sox during the 8th inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

The Cubs' Brett Jackson reaches on a force attempt while also collecting an RBI against the Sky Sox during the 8th inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

Brendan Harris of the Sky Sox hits a go-ahead RBI single against the Cubs during the 9th inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

Tim Wheeler of the Sky Sox scores ahead of the Cubs' Juan Apodaca during the 9th inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

Brendan Harris of the Sky Sox rounds third base to score against the Cubs during the 9th inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

The Cubs' Jaye Chapman reacts after giving up three runs to the Sky Sox during the 9th inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

Sky Sox closer Coty Woods pitches against the Cubs during the 9th inning at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.

Brendan Harris and Omir Santos of the Sky Sox celebrate their 4-1 victory over the Cubs after the game at Principal Park in Des Moines, Iowa on Friday, August 3, 2012.